Otters Fall in 4-3 Thriller at Memphis

It was a game of runs, as both teams took turns dominating possession, but a slow start and a late heartbreaker sunk the Otters’ comeback bid against Memphis City FC. After trailing 3-1 at halftime, the Otters fought back to tie the game at 3-3 in the 74th minute before surrendering the game-winner in stoppage time. The loss drops the Otters record to 3-5-2 on the season.

The energy started high for the first few minutes, with the Otters pressing to keep Memphis uncomfortable. After that Memphis were able to create several chances, as the Otters struggled to connect passes in the midfield.

However, the Otters were able to get on the board first, with Henrique Devens (Tusculum) scoring his first goal of the season by catching the Memphis goalkeeper wrong-footed with a long-range, dipping strike.

The lead was short-lived as Memphis took over possession and was able to equalize in the 27th minute. Nine minutes later, a defensive miscue allowed Memphis to counterattack and double their lead. Memphis’ third goal came from a crossed ball that found it’s way past several defenders to a Memphis attacker who blasted it home for a 3-1 lead going into the half.

To start the second half, the Otters made three changes with Ayuk Tambe (Tusculum), George Stanley (Montreat), and Oscar Perez (Wingate) coming on, and from there the energy picked up.

The defensive pressure paid off when Guilherme Àvila (William and Carey) forced a turnover at midfield. From there, Guillermo Segovia (Ohio Valley) got the ball to Devens who scored his second of the night to get the Otters back into the game.

The push for the equalizer continued, and in the 74th minute Blake Barribeau (Palm Beach Atlantic) claimed a ball in the midfield and played a long ball right to Tambe, who beat the keeper to tie the game.

Minutes later, Tim Trilk (Western Illinois) came up huge on the other end, making a kick save on a Memphis attacker. In the 83rd minute, Memphis had a free kick go off the crossbar, but the game stayed level heading into stoppage time.

With only moments left on the clock, Memphis earned a throw in. They caught the defense in transition and after the initial attempt was blocked, it landed at the feet of another attacker who was able to sneak it past the defender and goalkeeper to give Memphis a last-gasp winner at home.

The Otters close out their road schedule at Peachtree City on Tuesday, July 3rd before wrapping the regular season with three games at home. You can get your tickets for the final home stand on or on the HappsNow app! You can follow us on social media while we are on the road to stay up to date on the all that is happening with the team! #FearTheFur

Posted in Uncategorized.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *